Wednesday, May 23, 2007

How do you force a 3-year-old to eat?

I can't figure out how Scott has so much energy when the kid does not eat! It is a serious battle every time we attempt to have dinner. Today we tried this game: I had him write on our white board 12 things he could have for dinner. Of course each item had to be numbered, since I was trying to play to his numbers obsession. By the way, the reason it looks like he wrote a "c" after each number was because he was trying to add a close parenthesis.

So once the list was created, I asked him which numbers he wanted for dinner. He responded, "1, 2, 3!" So tonight he enjoyed a gourmet dinner of Dino Buddies (chicken nuggets), noodles and green beans. And HALLELUJAH, he ate every bite! So if any of you out there have any other good ideas to get this little boy to eat, I would love to hear your creative suggestions. The numbers thing worked tonight, but no guarantee it will work tomorrow...

Oh, and while we are battling Scott to get him to eat, here is Charlotte digging in the trash, trying to get every last Kix out of the cereal box. Are these kids related?




3 comments:

The Evers said...

How does he know what parenthesis are? I am not sure I even know how to spell that word! Can we send Elle to come live with you and learn for a while?

Chuck Gates said...

Dang, I am not sure how to get a genius child to eat. When did he first start learning numbers/letters? I thought my 2 year olds ability to tell her right foot from her left and sign the ABCs was good.

He is amazing!

Chuck Gates said...

That was supposed to be sing her ABCs, not sign her ABCs - oops. A 2 year old doing sign language ABCs would be quite talented though.