
...Scott! And we all would have put money on Trevor taking that title. While we were in Utah for Spring Break (yes, again, I'm very behind on my posts), Scott was having a fantastic time playing with all of his boy cousins at my brother-in-law's backyard in Heber City. Then all of the sudden I saw him crying on the couch with an ice pack on his elbow. I didn't see it all go down, but apparently he was holding on to a bar on the swing set, trying to pull his feet up and somehow slipped. Being the insensitive mom that I am, I would have just told him to keep the ice on it, take some Motrin and see how it feels in the morning. But thank goodness Drew's dad, aka Dr. Grandpa, was there. Always nice to have a surgeon in the family... After a quick exam by Grandpa, he thought we should have it x-rayed. Fortunately, urgent care at the Heber City hospital was about 5 minutes away and open and had no wait, so we totally lucked out. The x-ray showed 2 fractures on the inside of his elbow. Poor kid!
Scott kept the arm splinted for the last couple of days in Utah, and then the day after we arrived back home, we visited the orthopedic doctor here. The big mystery was what color he would chose for the cast... In the end, he went with Dodger Blue, to match his Little League team. Speaking of Little League, it was really disappointing that the broken arm took him out for the rest of the season. Especially after the last game he played he went 6 for 6 :(
So the cast went up to basically his shoulder and he had to have it on for month. It came off last week and all looks good! It is still stiff and he can't straighten it all the way, but no pain. And in another week he should be able to do anything he did before the break.
Scott was an amazing patient through it all. He was incredibly tough immediately after the break and through the long exam and diagnosis. He was even very good about following the advice of the doctor and Grandpa. He told me, "Grandpa said I should keep my arm at 90 degrees. It feels pretty warm - about 70 degrees." That one has jumped to the top of my list of favorite Scott quotes...
Family Vacationing in the Beautiful Black Hills
8 years ago
4 comments:
Scott! You are so lucky to have had Dodger Blue. My doc didn't even give me a choice. I'm so glad your arm is feeling better. Aren't you glad you get to swim now?
i hope this is the last cast your family has to experience! We were sad that Scott missed playing baseball, he was really doing great...gp Dodgers!
Tell Scott we're sorry he had to miss most of baseball season. He and Amy can share broken bone stories. She is the only one of our kids who ever broke a bone. She will be jealous that Scott got to have a blue cast, she just had a plain white one.
Sorry Stacy I didn't realize that Mark had been using my computer when I posted that last comment. It came from me, Patty, not Rachel.
Post a Comment