When Cindy, Jeff and I were kids, at some point a conversation like this took place with my mom:
"Mom, there's nothing to eat in the house."
"Sure there is. You just aren't looking."
"OK. We have mustard, oatmeal and ice."
So ever since then, whenever the refrigerator gets especially bare, we will say, "We have TONS of food. There is mustard, oatmeal and ice."
We reached the point of mustard, oatmeal and ice this week. I was going to take a picture of my bare refrigerator, but the drawers and shelves were so dirty it would have been embarrassing. I had no bread, no vegetables, no fruit (not even in cans), no yogurt, and just a teeny bit of milk left.
So I finally went shopping last night. But as I was leaving I asked Holly (my wonderful sister-in-law who is staying with us for a little while) if she wanted me to pick up anything. And here was that conversation:
Holly: "Sure. I will make 7-layer bars if you can get coconut, chocolate and butterscotch chips, sweetened condensed milk, corn syrup, graham crackers and pecans."
Me: "Um, I think I have all of that stuff here at home."
So I have absolutely NO fruit or vegetables in the house, but I just happen to have every random ingredient for these fabulous cookies. What does that say about me?
Family Vacationing in the Beautiful Black Hills
8 years ago
5 comments:
haha! that is awesome!
I think that says that is one of the reasons why I love you!
Hilarious!
I think the 7-Layer cookies covers all the food groups anyway:
chocolate - chocolate (it should always be the first food group)
graham crackers - starch
pecans - protein
coconut - fruit
sweet condensed milk - dairy
See Stace, you're giving your kids a balanced meal, even with just oatmeal, mustard, and ice ;)
I read this forever ago, but think about it every time I open my pantry. And as far as what it means - either we are kindred spirits, or you don't eat your junk fast enough.
And while I have a window open, Scott being in the dance show and Charlotte and her shopping are both too cute.
Post a Comment