Thursday, March 26, 2009

With friends like mine...

While I was in the hospital, my mom left on a long 3+ week vacation to Utah for a wedding, Colorado for granddaughter Laney's blessing, and New Hampshire to help Cindy move into a new house and prepare for grandson #3 arriving any day. She said she wasn't worried about leaving me to recover at home with the new baby and Scott and Charlotte because she knows my friends. She had no doubt that they would be there to help with ANYTHING I could possibly need. And she was SO right...

I have the most amazing friends. And this picture illustrates just ONE example of that:

Wednesday this week was a challenging day as I woke up with mastitis. Not fun. But about 8:45pm, there was a knock on the door, and there was Laurie C., bringing me what must have been a triple-scoop of Coppa Mista gelato, the most amazing food ever created on this earth. I didn't have to ask her to go get it for me... She knew I needed it - right then.

But that is just one of MANY examples of my special friends here. I love that they go above and beyond just saying, "Call me if you need me." Instead they say, "I'll be at your house at 5 with dinner" or "I'll pick up Scott after preschool and bring him back later in the afternoon" or "Bring Charlotte by on your way to the doctor, and then go to Target afterwards by yourself." I don't even have an opportunity to say "No". This gift to sense a need and fill it is a trait I wish I had, as I am more of the "Just let me know if you need anything" type of person.

So thanks SO much to all my incredible friends here in Roseville... And I know that had I been in a similar situation back in my BYU or Stanford days, that my dear friends who lived by me then would have responded just the same way. I have always been blessed to be surrounded by amazing women who I love and who love me like sisters.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

I'm glad you had friends to care for you, for I am like you said, more of a "just let me know if you need anything" person too. But I'm just glad you were well looked after with your mom being gone.

Unknown said...

Did anyone do sign ups for dinners for you.. or do I have to just drop by and hope that you had nothing else planned? :)

Please let me know!!!

M

Allison said...

Great. Now I feel like crap.